Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Field Work Season Fall 2011

The field work season is in full swing and I haven’t taken enough time to get all of this recorded. No excuses. I should be doing this regularly but so much is happening that it is sometimes hard to take time to record it completely. Last post was near the start of the term on Sept. 5 so maybe I should try to put this in some sort of chronological order.

Since the last post my colleagues and I organized and completed a major orientation day on Sept. 24 in conjunction with National Estuary Day at the center. We had almost 70 of the first year students attending and getting their first taste of the site. I had the assistance of three other STJ professors and we had a great turnout on a fabulous weather day.









One week later October 2 the board hosted a ribbon cutting on the new boardwalk –“Brunch on the Boardwalk” and we had a wonderful turnout of political leaders, friends, family and the general public. I led a short walk along the boardwalk heading to Alley Creek and when we made it to the end, on a wind-swept and crystal clear day, there were the egrets to greet us as if to say good-bye before they make their long journey to the south. It seems so natural that this board walk is so popular with both families and with wildlife.








(Pictures of the event are in another location and may be posted later)

That set the stage for a follow-up orientation at the University the next week where I turned some of our field photos and “before and after” photos into a classroom orientation to the field site. I don’t know if it is possible to post the entire product here because it is a large file but I’ll give it a try and see if it works. (File also located in another location and may be posted at later date).


Then there are the senior students. I have a wonderful group of senior leaders who wanted to implement some of their own projects and plans in the preserve. I organized them into a small “band of 5”. They all work on their own schedule but when they are at the site they provide the on-site supervision to beginning student as well as work on some of their own activities. I’d like to write more about each of them and what they are doing, but as a group they are GREAT; I couldn’t be more pleased with their work.



This brings us to today.-November 1. This is an official school holiday -All Saints Day- and since there are no classes it became the day that most of the AS-L students this year selected to do some of their field work. These students are from my own classes and from other classes all with the common interest of working in the outdoors on natural resource and park projects. We had two sessions across the day, one from 9 to 12 and another from 1 to 4, dividing the work accordingly. In the morning we worked close in and accomplished a great deal of planting and seeding near the boardwalk and in the afternoon we took the long trail (wet, muddy and messy to say the least) and did two tasks that had been neglected for far too long. Pictures from today may be a better way to show what we did but I am very please with the results.









This has been a wonderful field season and it is not even close to being finished. We have some momentum right now and I’ll see what we can make of this in the remaining time before winter sets in.

No comments:

Post a Comment